How many concurrent Remote Desktop Sessions can run on a single Windows Remote Desktop Server?
Modified on: Wed, 4 Mar, 2015 at 6:59 PM
Generally anywhere between 5 and 100+, depending on the following factors:
- Speed, type and number or CPUs installed on the TSE APP (remote desktop) server.
- Amount of RAM installed in the TSE APP (remote desktop) server.
- Server's Host Operating System, i.e. Windows 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 or 2012 server.
- Client settings, i.e. local resource redirection, screen resolution & color depth.
- Other services running on the server, i.e. Active Directory, Exchange, SQL... (NOT recommended).
- Bandwidth available for Remote Desktop sessions (a main consideration for WAN connections).
- End-user applications being used in each session, i.e. Microsoft Office, Acrobat Reader, Internet Explorer...
Here are Microsoft’s general recommendations and suggestions for sizing and scaling Remote Desktop Servers.
NOTE: This is just a reference guide. Thinspace does not guarantee server sizing as the actual sizing of servers depends on the applications and resources made available to users within their Thinspace Session.
RDS Host recommendations (taken from TechNet):
Estimated 150 sessions per host
- Windows Server OS x64
- 10 CPU cores (vCPUs)
- 24-32GB RAM
- 2GB RAM is the optimum limit for each core of a CPU. For example, if you have 4 GB RAM then for optimum performance there should be Dual core CPU.
- 2 Dual Core CPU perform better then single Quad core processor.
- On a RDS session host 64 MB per user is the base memory (RAM) requirement + 2 GB for OS. For example, (100 users * 64) + 2000 = 8.4 GB i.e. 8GB RAM. Each application will then add more memory per user which will need to be added to the calculation.
- 15 RDS sessions per CPU core is the optimum performance limit.
- 64kbps is the ideal bandwidth per user session. See bandwidth calculations at the end of this document for more information.
- RDS performance is significantly enhanced when running x64 hardware and OS.
- Remember that enabling Desktop Composition will have a significant impact on resource usage and will affect server capacity negatively.
- When running RD Session Host servers in a virtualized environment, make sure the processor supports paging at the hardware level (RVI for AMD, EPT for Intel).
Was this answer helpful?
TSE v7 App role stays red after installation on Windows 2012 R2 Modified on: Tue, 24 Feb, 2015...